Changemakers in Computing (CIC) is a new 4-week virtual summer 2021 program hosted by the University of Washington’s Allen School. This free program aims to serve Washington State high school students from systemically marginalized backgrounds. Students will be organized into Mentee* groups led by Mentors** who are current UW students in technology-related studies. Mentees will develop coding skills through culturally relevant project-based learning, learning about different areas of computing, explore the changemaking impact one can have through technology, receive support in pursuing continued learning, and building community with other changemakers – other Mentees, as well as Mentors.
*Mentees: High school student CIC participants
**Mentors: UW students in technology-related studies
By being part of Changemakers in Computing, high school students can benefit from:
- Direct mentorship from UW students studying technology-related fields
- Supportive community of peers and mentors who are caring and committed to intercultural communication and collective growth
- Problem solving skills development and meaningful projects that combine topics around technology, society, and justice
- Career exploration and professional networking opportunities with changemakers from all types of places and organizations
- Advising with exploring what college can look like, how to afford it, and what fields you could pursue
Changemakers are individuals who are committed to learning eagerly, thinking critically, inquiring thoughtfully, acting intentionally, and reflecting deeply for collective societal change.
Computing is a field that leverages design, computer software and hardware, and technology in general to collect, process, share, and problem-solve around information to rethink, shape, and transform reality.
Combined, Changemakers in Computing is a program that supports young people to grow in their societal consciousness, sense of community, technical problem solving, and understanding of the change they can create in the world.
The program will run for 4 weeks during Summer 2021. We will meet virtually using a video meeting platform Monday-Friday (excluding any U.S. holidays), roughly 9am to 3pm PT each day.
|February 18, 2021||Application opens|
|April 18, 2021 11:59pm PT||Application deadline*|
|May 3, 2021||Applicants are notified of decisions|
|June 28th to July 23rd||CIC Summer Program 2021!|
* If you are not able to submit your application before this deadline for any reason, you may still be able to apply! Contact us at email@example.com if this might be the case for you.